Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
Why shop small?
Small businesses are often referred to as the ‘backbone’ of the economy – did you know there are 33.2 million small businesses in the U.S. and that they make up 46.4% of U.S. employees?
Local small businesses are owned by people who actually dwell in your community, and they want the best for it just like you do – they oftentimes invest in the well-being of the community, but can only do this with our support.
Local businesses lean on other local businesses for day-to-day tasks (think: shipping materials, banking, farms, etc.) – they know what being a small business is all about, and the struggles that small businesses face, so their network of providers is typically more small business based!
This is what is known as the ‘multiplier effect.’ Essentially, every dollar you spend at a local business has a much greater impact on your community. Studies show that about 48% of dollars spent at local businesses stay in your community, vs. just 14% at chain stores!
Even more, when you’re supporting a small business, you’re supporting a real person! Your purchase will help them support their families, their teams, and help them grow their businesses and create more jobs.
Our Favorite Small Businesses
- Act+Acre – the founder of Act+Acre, Helen, “has always been passionate about clean hair care that works, she couldn’t find any for her clients and so decided to create Act+Acre: The world’s first Cold Processed® hair wellness brand that focuses on your scalp.”
- Atterley – Atterley pulls from independent boutiques all around the world. They also happen to have the BEST customer service ever.
- Carly Jean Los Angeles – from basics to dresses, CJLA has the cutest clothing options for any occasion!
- Drift Home Collection – “Each rug in our shop was handmade by women of Morocco. We travel to this beautiful country to bring you the most unique vintage tribal pieces. A rare combination of art, tradition, and history, Moroccan rugs have been passed down through generations and now are ready to be cherished in their future homes.”
- Farmgirl Flowers – “Farmgirl Flowers is the only large scale, female-founded and predominantly female-run ecommerce flower company. Why is that important? The gifting and receiving of flowers is usually done by women, for other women. So when it comes to deciding all the little details that make a Farmgirl bouquet we go the extra mile because we are the customer. We design the type of arrangements we would want to receive ourselves. And that means everything – from the type of flower in the bouquet to the bow we wrap it up with – matters.”
- Farmhouse Pottery – Farmhouse Pottery makes our favorite kitchen ceramics like crocks, olive oil dispensers, and bowls. They’re beautiful and functional!
- Fellow Products – from coffee and travel mugs to carafes to glassware, Fellow has everything you need for your coffee & tea sipping. My (Cassy’s) favorite thermos is the Carter Move Mug!
- Fermenting Fairy – these unique, healing fermented foods are free from added sugar, alcohol, and caffeine!
- Free Birdees – these bamboo baby jammies are cute and so, so soft!
- Gathre – Gathre is well known for their leather baby mats (their first product), but they’ve expanded their product line quite a bit! Everything they make is both beautiful and functional!
- Gigi Pip – Gigi Pip makes the most precious hats! They’ve got both summer and winter styles — I love them all!
- HATCH Collection – if you’re looking for high-quality maternity clothes, look no further. These pieces are so, so beautiful.
- Homestead and Chill – beautifully curated homemade, organic goods including lip balms, body salves (calendula, lavender, and more!), and bath salts. Each made with ethically sourced or personally grown products straight from her homestead.
- Karacotta Ceramics – these Austin-made ceramics are so beautiful and unique. Kara, the artist and creator behind the brand, also just so happens to be the loveliest human!
- Kortni Jeane – Kortni Jeane makes the CUTEST mix n’ match swimwear! They have lines for women, men, kids, and babies!
- La Paloma – made from natural fibers, these beautifully designed pajamas and day clothes are the definition of quality.
- Little Sleepies – another incredible bamboo pajama option for kiddos! My kids sleep almost exclusively in Little Sleepies!
- Lindsay Letters Co. – every single piece of art that Lindsay creates is beautiful and meaningful!
- Made by Mary – this small shop makes the most precious jewelry. Almost every piece of jewelry I wear daily is from Made by Mary and the quality is unbeatable!
- Mi Golondrina – one of Cassy’s personal favorites, Mi Golondrina’s mission is to “share the timeless beauty and traditions of Mexican artisan-made clothing with the world.”
- Mountain Feather Designs – custom, hand-stamped jewelry. Each item in their shop is designed and hand stamped by the owner in her studio outside of Columbus Ohio. She offers simple high quality minimalist designs that are perfect for everyday wear.
- Natural Sloth Candles – these candles are made with only the good stuff, essential oils, coconut oil, and beeswax. They have the loveliest scents and are perfect for holiday gift giving.
- Pika Products – women-founded and owned, Pika makes the best in packing cubes for outdoor adventuring, travel, and my (Melissa) personal favorite, portable diaper bag. I love to use the small cube to pack up everything I need and pop it into whatever bag I’m carrying for the day.
- Public Goods – every product on their website (their collections span from personal care to household products to food & beverage to pet products) is held to the standards of being “sustainable,” “healthy,” and “beautiful.”
- Rylee + Cru – Rylee + Cru has the CUTEST special occasion clothes ever. I (Brandi) personally shop Rylee + Cru for both of my kids every time we take family photos!
- Serendipitous Gems – woman-owned and operated, this small shop has the most beautiful natural gemstones, jewelry, carvings, and so much more!
- The Farmer’s Dog – “Like you, we love our pets and care about their health. That’s why we created The Farmer’s Dog — a service that delivers balanced, freshly made pet food with simple recipes, guided by science, and driven by love.”
- The Little Market – “The Little Market Council is a community of more than 70 strong, passionate, fearless women who support our work. It includes influential leaders, feminists, entrepreneurs, human rights experts, and advocates. Each member lends their time and talents to make a unique contribution to The Little Market.”
- The London Grant Co. – “Inspired by the art of “less is more,” our recipes are rooted in meaningful and effective ingredients; without distracting fillers. The Minimalist Collection is a lineup of non-toxic, fragrance-free butters, oils and scrubs. Whether you’re caring for tiny toes or weather-worn hands, our products are safe and effective for the entire family. “
- The Natural Baby Company – this female-founded company’s promise is to “provide products that are the highest quality, healthy, and environmentally friendly to parents throughout the world.”
- The Well Clothing Boutique – from sweaters to dresses, this boutique is the perfect one-stop-shop for giving your closet a boost without breaking the bank.
- Walker Goods – duffel bags, backpacks (for all ages!), and travel essentials — this is your one-stop-shop for quality travel gear.
- Wild Rivers Coffee Company – this female-founded business is based in Austin, Tx, and roasted in the USA.
- Wildflower Caramels – with many flavors to choose from, these homemade, small-batch caramels are incredibly delicious. They’d make for the perfect stocking stuffer!
Your Favorite Small Businesses
We asked for YOUR favorite small businesses and you delivered! Here’s a list of small businesses that you submitted via Instagram.
- 4 Carinos (accessories, home goods)
- Against the Grain Shoppe (home decor)
- Ambre Blends (body care)
- American Freedom Co. (clothing)
- Babiease (baby bedding)
- Bearbottom Clothing (clothing)
- Bestie Beads (jewelry)
- Birch & Beams (clothing, home decor)
- Blair Lamb Design (clothing)
- Clarey Clayworks (clay keepsakes)
- Cleo+Coco (personal care products)
- Cocokind (safer beauty)
- Crooked Trails Silver (jewelry)
- Earthley (herbal remedies, personal care products)
- Gcoded3D (3D art)
- Gentle Road (custom artwork)
- Goldwick Candles (candles)
- Grainwell (home decor)
- Gunner and Lux (kids’ jewelry)
- Hey June (jewelry)
- Hippie Hooray (children’s sensory play kits)
- Just Ingredients (nutritional supplements, body care)
- KC Cups (personalized drinkware)
- Lily Jade (leather bags)
- Marigold Salve (body care)
- Marley’s Monsters (home goods)
- Meg Ann Co. (clothing)
- Mercy House Global (accessories, home decor, jewelry)
- Mile 42 Coffee (coffee)
- Mockingbird on Broad (clothing, gifts, home decor)
- ModernRoots (body care, candles)
- MyRadicalRoots (sourdough resources)
- Palumba (home goods, kids’ toys/activities)
- Rebecca’s Herbal Apothecary (aromatherapy, herbs, teas)
- Red Dirt Beadwork (jewelry)
- Rivet Collective (clothing)
- Seven Weeks Coffee (coffee)
- Smear (safer beauty)
- SODADE Design (jewelry)
- Soul of a Home (candles, home spray)
- Swallowfield (home goods)
- TangerineTextiles (accessories)
- The Food Nanny (kitchen goods)
- Toni Daley (accessories, jewelry, wigs)
- Toups & Co. Organics (safer beauty, personal care products)
- Way of Being (personal care products)