Our Favorite Small Businesses to Support This Holiday Season
Today we’re talking about how to support small businesses this holiday season, even if you can’t shop in person, plus we’re rounding up some of our favorite small businesses perfect for gifting or everyday!
6 ways to support small businesses
This year, shopping small matters more than ever! Many small businesses have been forced to temporarily close their doors this year, and, as a result, more business has been driven online. By making an effort to shop small this year, you can help these businesses keep their doors open.
Why shop small?
Small businesses are often referred to as the ‘backbone' of the economy – did you know there are 31.7 million small businesses in the U.S. and that they make up 41.7% of U.S. employees?
Local small businesses are owned by people who actually dwell in your community, and they want the best for it just like you do – they oftentimes invest in the wellbeing of the community, but can only do this with our support.
Local businesses lean on other local businesses for day-to-day tasks (think: shipping materials, banking, farms, etc.) – they know what being a small business is all about, and the struggles that small businesses face, so their network of providers is typically more small business based!
This is what is known as the ‘multiplier effect.' Essentially, every dollar you spend at a local business has a much greater impact on your community. Studies show that about 48% of dollars spent at local businesses stay in your community, vs. just 14% at chain stores!
Even more, when you're supporting a small business, you're supporting a real person! Your purchase will help them support their families, their teams, and help them grow their businesses and create more jobs.
4 Ways to Support Small Businesses
Depending on your current local restrictions, you may not be able to shop in person like you have in years past, but that doesn't mean you can't support small businesses! Here are a few ideas to help you shop small while staying safe:
#1: Locate the Small Businesses in Your Area
Find local businesses in your area, and see if they are offering curbside pickup or shipping! Not sure where to start? Try searching for ‘Small Business Saturday' in your area – many cities are doing more than ever to boost local businesses this year! You can also check out the American Express Small Business Map or this awesome small business directory from Product Boss.
#2: Buy Gift Cards
Don't forget, small businesses aren't just shops! Your local workout studios, hair salons, spas, and more are also small businesses. If you can't use their services in person right now, buying a gift card is a great way to show your support.
#3: Support Your Local Bookstore
Bookstores are also in need of support right now as more and more people shift to buying online! If you can't get to your local bookstore in person, see if you can shop online.
If that's not an option, you can buy physical books through Bookshop.org, which is offering free shipping through Cyber Monday. More of an audiobook person? You can sign up with Libro.fm and the bookstore of your choice will receive a percentage of the profits from every audiobook you purchase! Right now you can get one audiobook for free with code FEDANDFIT.
#4: Go Virtual
Many small businesses have pivoted this year to be able to offer online experiences. For example, two of my favorite local wineries, Lost Draw Cellars and William Chris Vineyards, are currently offering virtual wine tastings! This is a great way to support a small business and also have a fun night in. A few other ideas to look into are cooking classes or even cheese tasting classes, crafting classes (paint and sip classes are always fun this time of year, or check out this candle-making class!), online workout classes, and even local museum tours and events.
#5: Order Takeout
Don't forget that your favorite local restaurant is also a small business, and your support right now goes a long way! Use this as an excuse to skip cooking tonight and order in instead.
Top Picks from Etsy
Etsy Gift Ideas
Etsy is an incredible resource for small businesses, and one of my personal favorite places to shop for unique, meaningful Christmas presents. If you really want to make sure you are supporting local, you can actually filter by location when you search for gifts! Here are a few of my favorite Etsy gifts & finds from the last few years:
- Christmas Door Hanger – This personalized wooden door hanger is such a cute alternative to traditional wreaths!
- Personalized Leather Journal – I bought this leather journal for my husband this year, it is beautiful and such a special gift.
- Personalized Pet Portraits – If you have an animal lover in your life, these make for a perfect gift!
- Enneagram Gifts – Etsy has so many fun Enneagram Gifts, and I have loved the ones I've purchased from 2 and 9 Designs. From t-shirts, to mugs, to jewelry, they have something for everyone!
- Candles – Etsy also has tons of amazing candle makers. I bought these coconut oil and beeswax candles last year and love them!
- Face Masks – I've bought a LOT of face masks from Etsy this year. My favorite ones are from Blush Bridal Co and Ililily.
- Personalized Map Print – A few years ago, we had a personalized map done for my mother and father-in-law (who love to travel) with maps of all of their favorite destinations.
- Personalized Cutting Board – Obviously, Etsy is the place to go when it comes to personalization! Cutting boards are another of my favorite gift items. These cutting boards make great newlywed or housewarming gifts and I love this cutting board that you can personalize with an heirloom recipe for the cook in your family!
- Ornaments – Etsy has so many fun ornaments available, from personalized family ornaments, to first Christmas ornaments, to this PERFECT Schitt's Creek ornament I've got my eye on, there's something for everyone!
- Greatest Sports Plays Coasters – My husband flipped for these coasters, and they make mugs now, too! If you have a sports fanatic in your life, these are a great gift.
- This is Tisa – F+F reader recommended! This shop is filled with fun gifts from mugs, to shirts, to holiday printables.
Beauty & wellness
Below are our favorite picks for all things beauty, wellness, and self-care!
Primally Pure has long been one of our favorite safer beauty companies, but did you know that they are also a small business? It has been so amazing to see them grow over the years! Primally Pure is also having a great sale this weekend. If you're new to Primally Pure you can take 25% off your first purchase with code FEDANDFIT25. If you're a returning customer, don't worry! You can still get $10 off any $75 purchase, $20 off $100, or $35 off $150 or more!
Here are some of our favorite products:
- Face Masks – These face masks are simply the BEST! I'm partial to their soothing mask and CBD mask for my sensitive skin, but they have more for every skin type.
- New Holiday Collection – Primally Pure's new holiday collection smells incredible! I have loved their body butter for years and this one with a mint and vanilla scent is just perfection.
- Deodorant – After years of trying safer deodorants that irritated my skin or just couldn't get the job done, I was so excited to find Primally Pure! I especially love the charcoal and geranium varieties.
- Dry Shampoo – Another can't-live-without product, a sprinkle this into my roots right after styling to keep my hair fresh for days between washes!
Luv Scrub is a Black-Owned business that makes an incredible exfoliator! Use this to replace your loofahs and washcloths for incredibly smooth skin.
Moon Rivers Naturals
Moon Rivers Naturals is a small business making all-natural skincare products based in Hawkins, TX. I LOVE their body scrubs, especially the Peppermint Lavender with epsom salts for relieving muscle aches and the Grapefruit Coffee for an energizing shower.
Our favorite nail polish company is also a small, woman-owned business! Right now you can get 25% off sitewide. We especially love their nail kits for holiday gifting.
Our favorite CBD company is also a small, woman-owned business based in Chicago! Now through Cyber Monday, the entire site is discounted 20% off plus, if you're a new customer you can take 15% off with the code FEDANDFIT. Their holiday sets are perfect for anyone in your life who could use some relaxation and self-care!
Cater to Mom
We love that this small, Black-Owned business caters to postpartum moms! Each monthly box is themed with a focus on different things moms face during the postpartum period. Sign up for a subscription HERE.
Fed + Fit Reader Recommended! Ami blends pure, powerful plants into solutions that provide wellness for women. Their Calm Herbal Tincture is on my wishlist!
Below you'll find our favorite small business picks for all things home!
Branch Basics is our go-to for non-toxic cleaning, and they are a small, woman-owned business based right here in Texas! Their formula cleans like a DREAM and is so easy to use. Their starter kit will cover all your cleaning needs from laundry to bathrooms. This Black Friday weekend they are having their BIGGEST sale of the year!
Rifle Paper Co.
This adorable small shop has everything from the cutest gift wrap, to stationery, beautiful scarves, and more! I'll be grabbing a few stocking stuffers from here. Right now you can take 30% off sitewide.
Olive and Linen
MJ Wood Co.
Rug and Weave
Estelle Colored Glass
This Black-Owned, woman-owned business makes the most stunning handblown glassware that is perfect for gifting this holiday season!
Hill Country Woodshop
Box Sparrow Studio
This Houston, TX-based shop is filled with the most gorgeous ceramic goods!
We love shopping a good boutique, the ones below are beautifully curated and allow you to shop online!
Olive and Loom
Another Austin-based, woman-owned business, this shop has everything you need for holiday gifts from these gorgeous wine cups to ceramic olive oil bottles and gifts that are perfect for the gardener in your life.
This curated shop from Madewell is filled with goods from small business owners.
Below are a few of our favorite small jewelry shops!
Jane Winchester Jewelry
This small, black-owned business makes beautiful jewelry, I especially love their stackable necklaces! Get 20% off with code THANKFUL.
Lace and Pearls Jewelry
Mint & Birch
F+F Reader Recommended! These hand-lettered necklaces are a perfect gift for any mom.
Mountain Beach Sea Glass
F+F Reader Recommended! This beautiful, unique sea glass jewelry would make for such a wonderful gift.
Below you'll find some of our favorite small businesses that cater to kids!
Sugar Cup Trading Co.
Cuddle + Kind
Cuddle + Kind's fabric dolls are beyond adorable, and what's even better is that with each purchase 10 meals will be donated to children. Right now, you can save 15% with code KIND15.
Paper Play + Wonder
Treehouse Kid & Craft
Treehouse Kid & Craft is an Atlanta-based small business that carries tons of amazing from all around the world that encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, and imaginative play.
Brown Book Box
Casita Curated Play
F+F Reader Recommended! Casita Curated Play is a monthly subscription that makes sensory play boxes for kids! You can choose to sign up for a subscription, or buy a single sensory kit.
Tweed Baby Outfitters
F+F Reader Recommended! Tweed Baby Outfitters makes adorable kids clothes and has a huge selection of unique toys.
Food & Beverage
F+F Reader Recommended! This concept is SO neat! Mixy makes making delicious craft cocktails easy and fun. They sell infusion kits with dried aromatics to give you all the flavor of craft cocktails without the work. These would make for a great stocking stuffer, or you could combine multiple for a gift basket. The Joy and the Skyline are on my list!