The Fed and Fit Skinny Margaritajump to recipe
Hello friends! Breakout the salt, lime and tequila… tomorrow is National Margarita Day! That’s right. Every year on February 22nd, you can and should enjoy yourself a few sips of the Mexican cocktail classic.
As far as cocktails go, the margarita can pack a huge sugar and caloric punch. There are few things I hate more than sweet and sour (or other pre-made margarita) mixes. They have a disgusting amount of sugar and other mystery ingredients. Loving the idea of the tequila citrus, I went on a mission to create a healthier version of the beverage.
The Fed and Fit Skinny Margarita contains a few simple ingredients: silver tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave nectar, and sparkling mineral water. That’s it! Simple, delicious, and guiltless.
Each serving contains about 140 calories. If you opt for a more tart and somewhat paleo-approved drink, leave out the agave nectar and save your self about 6 grams of sugar plus 27 calories.
Note: if you’re in a bar setting and looking for a guiltless cocktail, ask for a Patron Silver on the rocks with a BUNCH of lime wedges on the side. You can create your own tart version of the cocktail.
The Fed and Fit Skinny Margarita
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 4 medium sized limes, juiced
- 1 medium sized orange, juiced
- 2 shots of silver tequila (I prefer Puro Verde Organic Tequila or Patron)
- ½ cup sparkling mineral water (I used San Pellegrino)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- kosher salt for rim if desired
- If you like salt on your margarita, run a lime wedge around the glass and then dip it in a bowl containing sea salt.
- Fill two glasses with ice and set aside.
- Stir all ingredients together until the agave nectar dissolves. Add more or less of the agave depending on your taste.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!