Fresh Lime & Jalapeno Margaritajump to recipe
This skinny jalapeno margarita is simply made with lime juice, silver tequila, honey, and some jalapeno + cilantro. This almost-good-for you combo will please even the most discerning margarita lover (think: the BEST skinny margarita!).
It's official, folks. Summertime is upon us! Because it's been a while, we should probably recap how summer works:
Summer's obligation to us: provide sunshine, chirping birds, warm cars to enjoy upon exit from chilly buildings, minimal mosquitoes, and countless excuses to throw parties of 1 to 100.
Our obligation to summer: find a completely engrossing book, spend as many days as possible relaxing poolside and feeling confident in our bodies, eat only the best BBQ, and find/make/share a knock-your-socks-off margarita.
While I can't help with all the above, I CAN provide book inspiration in that I'm planning to read Girl on the Train, Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, and Ajax Penumbra 1969 (a prequel to the WONDERFUL book Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Book Store) this summer. If you want to join my entirely unofficial Fed+Fit Book-Club, follow me on Instagram! We can dish over our thoughts on these summer reads.
Books aside, I can ALSO aid in your search for a knock-your-socks-off margarita by sharing the very best jalapeno margarita recipe in the whole wide world! It's the very best and it's almost good for you.
Important note of qualification: as a Garcia by birth and resident of San Antonio, TX with a picky palate for only the best ingredients that actually jive WITH my healthy body (vs. make me feel like crap), I am actually the foremost authority on tasty-delicious, almost-good-for-you margaritas.
What's the difference between a skinny margarita and a regular one?
So, what makes this jalapeno margarita ‘almost-good-for-you’ or ‘skinny’?! Instead of using a sugar-laden sweet and sour mix, we’re combining SIMPLE, good-for-you ingredients to make this poolside cocktail. Best part? *This* is how margaritas are authentically made – fresh lime juice gets the job done like no sweet and sour mix could ever do! Honey, though still a sugar, actually promotes our health rather than making us feel sluggish and icky the next day. Essentially, this skinny margarita recipe is the best of both worlds: authentic + better-for-you!
Jalapeno Margarita Ingredients
This masterpiece of a cocktail is made possible by a small, but powerful list of ingredients: FRESH lime juice, silver tequila, honey, and some jalapeno + cilantro. The cilantro is optional for anyone who thinks cilantro tastes like soap. I'd never ask you to put soap in your margarita.
- Honey – it's not only a delicious sweetener, but raw honey also plays host to a wonderful range of natural enzymes that help promote our health! Honey IS still a sugar and, therefore, should be consumed in moderation – but it's a great natural option. You can also use agave here, which is more traditional, but I’ve opted for honey because it is always in my pantry and I love the taste!
- Silver Tequila – silver tequila is a bit more neutral than many gold tequilas, which makes it perfect for mixing into margaritas.
- Fresh Lime Juice – unless you're purchasing lime juice that was squeezed THAT MORNING from a Whole Foods, you absolutely must juice your own limes. Lime juice concentrate and lime juice mixers contain a whole slew of artificial ingredients that makes for a drink that is miles away from it's more delicious, freshly squeezed alternative.
- Jalapeno + Cilantro – um, because they're delicious. Duh. Sure the jalapeno and cilantro offer a tiny punch of additional vitamin/minerals, but they're really just included for flavor and pizazz. You and your summer deserve all the pizazz!
How to Make a Spicy Jalapeno Margarita
This part is just as simple as the ingredient list thanks to a few tips, tricks, and handy tools that I have up my sleeve (note: don’t actually carry the handy tools up your sleeve…that’s weird!) Here’s how I make this drink so that I can get poolside ASAP:
- Muddle the Jalapeno – in the bottom of a pitcher, muddle the jalapeno slices (tip: use THIS grapefruit spoon (handy tool #1) for easy jalapeno seed removal) with the lime juice (handy tool #2 – THIS citrus juicer!) 10-12 presses with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon will do!
- Add the Tequila + Honey – add the tequila and honey, stir to combine thoroughly – or until all the honey is dissolved.
- Dress the Rim with Sea Salt – pour the sea salt in the bottom of a small bowl. Dip the top of each glass in the margarita mixture, let it drain off, then press the top of the glass into the bowl of salt. Gently tap the glass with your hand to knock off any excess.
- Pour, Garnish, and Enjoy – Fill each glass with fresh ice and pour in the margarita mix, then garnish with fresh lime and cilantro, and ENJOY!
That's it! The cat is officially out of the bag. You know the key to my heart: good summer reads and a fresh lime jalapeno margarita. You can find me sitting poolside while I laugh and cry out loud to my books (I'm that girl who can't bottle book emotions) and asking the bartender if he can sweeten my margarita with honey instead of syrup.
If you're interested in hearing more of my thoughts on alcohol, how it's made, how it's processed, how to best prepare your body for a drink, and how I personally indulge, check out Episode 22 (Alcohol 101) of the Fed+Fit Podcast! I promise I only geek out over the science 7 times.
Fed & Fit Favorite Recipes
More Skinny Poolside Beverages
- Watermelon Margaritas
- Pitcher Palomas
- Ginger Beet Margaritas
- Sparkling Rosé Pitcher Margaritas
- Pineapple Sangria
- Frozen White Citrus Sangria
- Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria
- Sparkling Peach Sangria
- Texas Iced Tea
Now, put on that suit (confidently, of course!), grab your skinny jalapeno margarita + feel-good read, and get poolside stat!Print
Skinny Jalapeno Margarita
These refreshing jalapeno margaritas are the perfect balance of tangy and sweet, with a slightly spicy kick!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 large green jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon) silver tequila
- 2–4 tablespoons honey (sweeten to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 lime wedges for garnish
- 2 sprigs cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In the bottom of a pitcher, muddle the jalapeno slices with the lime juice. 10-12 presses with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon will do!
- Add the tequila and honey, stir to combine thoroughly – or until all the honey is dissolved.
- Pour the sea salt in the bottom of a small bowl. Dip the top of each glass in the margarita mixture, let it drain off, then press the top of the glass into the bowl of salt. Gently tap the glass with your hand to knock off any excess.
- Fill each glass with fresh ice and pour in the margarita mix.
- Garnish with the fresh lime and cilantro.
- For a less strong margarita – you can top off your drink with sparkling water like topo chico.
- For a slightly spicy margarita, remove the seeds from the jalapeno. For a spicier option, muddle the seeds then strain them out.
- You can also use agave in place of the honey to sweeten this recipe
Keywords: margarita, honey, spicy, jalapeno