What Brandi’s Loving
Today’s What We’re Loving is brought to you by Brandi, Fed & Fit’s Managing Editor:
Hey, y’all! Brandi here. I’m a mama of two littles, a wife to my high school sweetheart, and Fed & Fit’s lead writer and managing editor. Find my unabridged and (mostly) unpolished favorites below. I hope this list inspires you!
- The school year is here, and that means that mama (me!) is back on that nightly lunch packing grind. In an effort to make my life as easy as possible (packing lunches, for some reason, is one of my least favorite tasks), I ordered 4 of these Bentgo boxes so that I can pack all 4 of my daughter’s lunches for the week (she’s in a 4-day program) on Sunday evening. I’ll store them in the fridge and then pop them in her lunchbox before we leave each morning. This will hopefully streamline the process and make my life easier!
- In an effort to protect my skin as much as possible, I’ve been using Beautycounter’s Sheer Defense Sunscreen over my Dew Skin, and I’ve been LOVING it. The Sheer Defense is super lightweight, moisturizing, and leaves no white cast. Because I don’t have a ton of time in the mornings to let it really absorb (and I don’t want my bangs to get oily from the sunscreen on my forehead), I do a quick once over with my Mattifying Powder to absorb some of the shine. All three of these products are daily staples for me!
- Need a good sensory activity for your kiddos? I’ve got you! The sensory kits from Young Wild and Friedman ROCK. I literally cannot say enough good things about them — my 2.5-year-old LOVES them and it’s so fun to see her imagination come to life while she’s playing. They’re incredible for both independent play and play with mom and dad. We’re signed up for the monthly kit subscription, and I am always so pumped to see the new kit when it gets delivered. We have the pet kit, grocery shopping kit, unicorn kit, and doctor kit. I highly recommend them all, but I have to say that the pet kit and doctor kit are our very favorites!
- I may be 30, but I can still get behind a good young adult read. While everyone was raving about Amazon Prime’s new show, The Summer I Turned Pretty, I was reading the books! Y’all, I am not kidding when I say that I was sucked in from the start. I love a good escape from reality, and this trilogy took me to the beach and had me rooting for characters like they were my friends.
- As a nursing mama, I am hyperaware of staying SUPER hydrated. One way that I do that is by making sure that I down two LMNTs (yep, two!) every single day. I typically get to work, fill up my 40-ounce tumbler with water, dump two LMNTs in, and then down that before I drink anything else. My favorite flavors are watermelon and raspberry. Use this link to get a free sample pack when you place an order of any amount!
- Summer is winding down, but let’s be honest, Texas is still hot for another couple of months. I have never been super confident in a bathing suit, but that has seriously changed this year! I invested in a couple of bathing suits from Summersalt and have not looked back. They’re so cute (hello, Rifle Paper Co. prints!) and hug in all of the right places. The Perfect Wrap One-Piece is my current favorite style, and I plan on getting this one next!
- Next up: family photos. I truly never regret getting family photos done — the actual taking of the photos can feel a little bit chaotic (especially with young kiddos), and it’s definitely something that needs to be budgeted for, but having little bits of time frozen to look back on is such a gift. I’ve always tried to be really intentional with getting photos taken of my little family, but this year, I’ve made an effort to get more of our family in on it. We booked a summer beach photo session with my husband’s side, and we have a fall photo session booked with my side. Having photos of my babies with their grandparents is so special (for us and for our parents!). If it’s been a while since you’ve had professional photos done, this is your reminder to book a session, have some fun coordinating outfits, and do the thing! (Photo above by Lillian Jean Photography, a super talented photographer out of Rockport, TX.)
- This feels funny to write in a “what I’m loving” article (because I much prefer nursing over pumping), but in the 5+ months that I’ve been back in the office after having my precious baby boy in January, I’ve really gotten my pumping routine down and have discovered some products that make it feel like less of a chore. First, I pump using the Elvie Stride — this is a hospital-grade hands-free pump. Yep, you read that right: the power of a hospital-grade pump made totally hands-free for the most convenient pumping possible …GENIUS! This allows me to work at my desk while I pump, and I’ve even used this pump in the car and in restaurants/coffee shops really easily and discreetly. Once I’m done pumping, I store all of my milk in a mason jar, and if I plan on freezing any of it, in a breastmilk storage bag. In between pumping sessions, I store my pump (just the parts that hold milk) in a large Stasher bag in the fridge so that I don’t have to wash everything multiple times a day. Note: this is just what works for me! If you have questions about milk storage, I’ve found this site super helpful.
- Last, but certainly not least: my boosted morning coffee! I love a good cup of coffee, but I do try to limit myself to one per day (I tend to get super jittery with too much caffeine) and make it as yummy and balanced as possible. I’ve been on a major metabolic health deep dive, and in that, have learned how to tweak my morning cup of coffee so that it supports my metabolism vs. hinders it. First, I never drink coffee on an empty stomach. This was an adjustment for me, but I feel so much better sipping on my boosted coffee after enjoying a good hearty (usually protein and healthy fat-packed) breakfast. Second, I don’t drink my coffee black! Instead, I boost it to make it as balanced as possible with a scoop of collagen, a glug of MCT oil, a healthy dose of half-and-half, and a little bit of pure maple syrup. HEAVEN.