Paleo Plantain Chips

Happy Sunday!

Now that you’ve had loads of time to salivate over that Paleo Ceviche Verde {find the full recipe at Paleo Magazine Online}, I’m going to share a recipe for the perfect ceviche scooper – the plantain chip.

Plantains are magical fruits. I’m sure you’ve seen them in the grocery store. They are the banana’s slightly larger, starchier, less sweet cousin. They’re usually found either near the banana display or by all the other exotic fruits that you pass and shrug wondering, “who buys those things?”

I do.

I buy them, experiment with them, have failed experiments with them, perfect my dishes, and then share the success stories here.

If you like salty, crunchy, chip-like snacks, you’ll love these. They are really easy to make, pack well for on-the-go, and serve as great scoopers for salsa, guacamole, or Ceviche Verde.

DSC_0227

When it comes to choosing a plantain, there are two options: more ripe or less ripe. The more ripe plantains are {you guessed it} more yellow. The less ripe plantains are {you guessed again!} more green. They may have some bruising, but don’t be discouraged. Unlike a banana, the skin on a plantain is typically thick enough to protect the flesh within.

The green plantains are easy to slice thinly and are less sweet. The yellow plantains can be a little sticky but make sweeter chips. The choice is yours, though I recommend green. Experiment and have fun!

DSC_0415

DSC_0397

Enjoy!

First, set your oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

DSC_0024

DSC_0009

The cuts you just made help you peel the plantain.

DSC_0040

Slice the plantain on a diagonal as thinly as you can consistently manage.

DSC_0062

Toss the plantain slices with 1-1.5 tsp melted coconut oil, lay out on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with the kosher salt.

DSC_0119

If you’re an inconsistent slicer like me, some of the chips will be finished after 20 minutes in the oven and the rest will be finished after about 25. Leave in longer or shorter depending on how your oven heats and feel free to remove the more well-done chips as they start to brown.

DSC_0273

When all the chips are to your liking, remove from the oven and enjoy!

Although you can store them in a Ziploc bag for up to 5-7 days, they will start to lose their crisp after a day or so.

When you get them nice and crispy, they’re hard to put down!

Print Print Save Save

Paleo Plantain Chips

Yield: ~3 dozen

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

• 1 green plantain
  • 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted
  • ½ tsp kosher salt {or more to your liking}

1. Set oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Cut the ends off and then score the length of the plantain with about three evenly spaced cuts. Don’t cut too far into the flesh, you just want to cut through the skin.
  3. Peel the plantain then slice it on a diagonal as thinly as you can consistently manage.
  4. Toss the plantain slices with the melted coconut oil, lay out on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with the kosher salt.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  6. {Leave in longer or shorter depending on how your oven heats and feel free to remove the more well-done chips as they start to brown.}

DSC_0251

32 Responses to “Paleo Plantain Chips”

Seanposted May 13, 2013 at 9:31 am

im gonna make these for a bike tour snack!

• fedandfit replied: — May 13th, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

Awesome idea! They pack well. You have a great blog, btw! Keep up the great work.

Arianaposted July 18, 2013 at 10:44 am

Can this be made with avocado oil?

• fedandfit replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Absolutely!

Judiposted September 22, 2013 at 7:44 am

These were absolutely delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

• fedandfit replied: — September 23rd, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Hi Judi! My pleasure. Thank you for the feedback!

Erinposted March 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Your recipe was the first to pop up when I searched for baked plantain chips and they look delicious. I’m making these tonight for sure! Thanks!!!!!

Nissaposted March 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I’ve made one batch today and have the second in the oven right now–they are amazing! I love that they are baked, as I really hate the time and mess usually involved in frying. I’m finally able to find nice quality plantains locally, so this is going to be a recipe I turn to often. Thank you! :)

Gennaroseposted April 28, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Great with hummus! Thanks! So yummy and easy.

Patposted April 29, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I’m sad. I kept them in for 25 minutes & they were still soft & chewy. So I added 5 more minutes. Still not crispy. So I turned each one over and put them in for 5 more minutes – we’re up to 35 minutes now – and they were brown, but still not crispy! Any idea what I did wrong? I was so excited about this recipe and really want to try it again! I used a yellow plantain (all I had) and I sliced it very thin and followed the directions exactly!

• Cassy replied: — May 2nd, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

That is sad, Pat! I wish I could say what went wrong. It’s possible that your plantain just had too much moisture. I recommend trying again with a green one – that may help.

Sarahposted June 5, 2014 at 12:45 am

First of all, thanks for the oven baked recipe! I didn’t want the mess of frying either but I love plantain chips and they’re compliant with my Whole 30/Paleo lifestyle.
    I bought three green plantains at the store about 3 days ago. By the time I cooked them today, two had turned yellow and one was still green. I cooked them all up the same way, with the coconut oil and salt as you recommended. Here’s my observations/caveats:
    – The yellow plantains came out significantly sweeter and chewier. They never got crunchy. In comparison, the green plantain chips were crisp and starchier. They also seemed to cook faster. The taste was more like the plantain chip I’ve bought at the store.
    – Definitely cut them thin! I was in a hurry and was sloppy with my cuts. Some came out crispy, some were thicker and less chip-like – more like home fries.
    I’ll definitely make this recipe again but only with green plantains. And sliced thin!
    Thanks again! Delicious snack!

• Cassy replied: — June 5th, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

Great feedback, Sarah! Thank you!

Becciposted August 10, 2014 at 2:28 am

Awesome recipe! I made last night and again tonight. The slicing def takes time. I used the slicer side of my cheese greater and it worked great! Gives a more consistent slice. Also it was thinner then when I did by hand so I got more out! I recommend if doing this to slice away from your body! Lol it’s a little tougher than i thought an it was slipping away from me!

• Cassy replied: — August 17th, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

Great tip! Thanks, Becci!

Staceyposted August 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I can’t wait to try these. Can I use cooking spray. Like the Pam or Mazola brand because that’s what I have. I want them as fat free as possible so I can enjoy as much as possible.. lol..

• Cassy replied: — September 5th, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

Hi Stacey! You can use whichever fat you have on hand. Truly though, if you choose a fat like coconut oil or even butter made from grass-fed cows (like Kerrygolds) you’ll have a healthier snack on hand! Just a thought. Hope you enjoy them either way! :)

Tinaposted September 19, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I’m not a fan of coconut, so wondering what other oil I could use??? I’ve never bought plantains before and am excited to try them!! Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

• Cassy replied: — October 2nd, 2014 @ 7:37 pm

Hi Tina! Ghee or even a grass-fed butter will work! Just melt it before using.

Victoria @ The Thrive Lifeposted October 6, 2014 at 11:40 pm

THANK YOU! I made these tonight and they turned out AWESOME! I even included them (and your link) on my blog tonight! Thanks again! :)

• Cassy replied: — October 10th, 2014 @ 2:49 am

Awesome!! So glad you like them, Victoria.

1. Pingback: Carbo-loading & Plantains | Daily Cup of Asheejojo

2. Pingback: Coconut Mojito Popsicles | Fed and Fit

3. Pingback: 15 Paleo Recipes for Kids

4. Pingback: 5 Yummy Paleo Guacamole Recipes! | Oh Snap! Let's Eat!

5. Pingback: Guiltless Grub: Paleo Snacks On The Go | Beauty and the Box | Exploring crossfit, health and beauty one blog post at a time

6. Pingback: Welcome to The Nutrition Addiction!

7. Pingback: Cosmic Crossfit » Paleo Plantain Chips