Cinnamon French Toast Bake (GF)
This cinnamon french toast bake is equal parts decadent and simple! It is a great candidate for your Christmas morning breakfast, you can throw it together quickly, bake while the present unwrapping commences, and then enjoy for a special breakfast that the whole family will enjoy.
French toast, a close second to an especially delicious blueberry pancake, is, hands down, my favorite decadent breakfast. That being said, really good gluten-free french toast is HARD to come by unless you make it yourself! My dear friend Amber is a wiz at french toast and I've spent the last year enjoying her recipe. The time has finally come for me to take this recipe and make it even EASIER with a cook-all-at-once appraoch. You see, the problem (not that it's a big problem) with french toast is the need to fry one slice at a time. Like pancakes, it's a labor of standing by the stove for at least 30 minutes, or until all the slices are cooked up. I wanted something easier and more hosting-a-breakfast-party (like Christmas morning) friendly.
Entering the scene: this Cinnamon French Toast Bake. It's a little like french toast and a cinnamon roll had a baby and it rocked my whole world. Best of ALL, it's an absolute breeze to make. All you need is a loaf of your favorite gluten-free bread (I love the “heritage style” by Canyon for this recipe) and the usual french toast players: eggs, cream (dairy or other-wise), maple syrup, and some cinnamon. Whisk up your french toast dippings and pour it over the loaf in a baking pan.
NOTE: preparing the french toast bake the night before is a GREAT idea! This allows the bread to soak up more of the french toast mixture before baking AND gives you even less to mess with the next morning.
Pop that little loaf in the oven, bake until perfect, and then drizzle the top with a cinnamon roll-style glaze.
It's so good, I want to go make another batch of it right now.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it offers up a fun, decadent breakfast treat while you relax and enjoy your morning with family!
Cinnamon French Toast Bake00:15 00:30 0:45 8-10
For the French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf gluten free bread
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (may substitute coconut cream)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (may substitute full-fat coconut milk)
- Cinnamon, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the bread in a 9x13 inch pan, separating slightly so it leans diagonally. Then, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla, and pour it over the bread.
- Note: you can prepare the french toast bake the night before! Assemble per step #2 and then bake as directed below.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the french toast is baking, make the icing in a medium-sized bowl by whisking together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream.
- Remove the french toast from the oven, then pour over the glaze. Garnish with additional cinnamon and serve!