Posted by http://fedandfit.com/veggie-loaded-shepherds-pie/
© 2018 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Veggie-Loaded Shepherd's Pie
For the Ground Beef Mixture
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large head lacinato kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces peas and carrots
For the Mashed Potato Topping
- 3 medium white potatoes (about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canned, full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cover the potatoes in water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until they're easily pierced with a fork. Once soft, drain and let cool slightly.
- Melt the butter in a large enameled cast-iron pot or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the kale and stir in the butter, then cover and let steam for 3-4 minutes until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the ground beef to the pan along with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly to break up the meat, until all of the moisture has evaporated and some pieces are starting to develop a deeper brown color. Add the tomato paste, broth, peas and carrots, and kale to the ground beef mixture. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Remove the peels from the cooled potatoes and add to a medium sized pot along with the butter, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Using either a potato masher or a hand mixer, mix the potatoes until soft and fluffy.
- If working in a frying pan, transfer the meat mixture to a deep 8 by 8-inch or similar-sized baking dish. Spread the potato mash over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool for 10 minutes, garnish with Parsley if desired, then serve!
If following the Cook Once, Eat All Week Meal Plan:
Use the following pre-cooked ingredients:
- 5 cups pre-cooked ground beef
- 2 cups of pre-cooked kale
- 3 pre-cooked potatoes, skins removed
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling and place in an 8” x 8” casserole dish.
- Remove skins from potatoes and place in microwave-safe bowl to reheat for 90 seconds – 2 minutes, until warmed through. Or, place in medium-sized pot and warm over medium heat for three minutes.
- Mash the potatoes, then add coconut milk, butter, salt, and pepper to the warmed potatoes. Stir to combine, then spoon on top of ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool 5-10 minutes, and serve!