Creamy Chicken Piccata Skilletjump to recipe
This one-skillet creamy chicken piccata is absolutely delicious and done (start to finish!) in just 30 minutes
We've partnered with Stonyfield Organic again today to bring you another delicious way to use yogurt, and this may be our best one yet! This is one of those meals that FEELS (and tastes!) so fancy. Like, your family is going to look at you after one bite and wonder HOW on earth you managed to get a dinner of this caliber on the table in between working, mom-ing (or dad-ing!), and all of your other daily duties. Soak in the “oohs,” “ahhs,” and many, MANY compliments, because you deserve them! You got a darn delicious homemade dinner on the table on a chaotic weeknight, and *that* deserves a round of applause…even if it only took 30 minutes + was all done in one skillet (we’ll keep that part between us!).
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken piccata is an Italian dish that features thin-sliced chicken breasts (oftentimes breaded, but we’re keeping things simple and a little bit lighter) smothered in a buttery, lemony, brine-y (thanks to one of the dish’s signature ingredients: capers!) sauce and typically served over pasta or mashed potatoes! Traditional chicken piccata is a go-to Italian restaurant order for many, but it can actually be made really simply (and even a little bit healthier) at home!
Lemon Chicken Piccata Ingredients
Our take on lemon chicken piccata really kicks things up a notch! We actually added Greek yogurt to the classic, delicious sauce to make our piccata CREAMY, and let me tell you, once you go *creamy* chicken piccata, the regular version just doesn’t cut it anymore! Here’s you’ll need to whip up this one-skillet meal:
- Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast – you’ll first need 1½ pounds of thinly-sliced chicken breast (about 1/2-inch thick). When it comes to chicken piccata, the thinner the chicken breast, the better!
- Butter or Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil will do the trick to help us cook the chicken *and* add a nice, rich flavor to our dish.
- Garlic Cloves – you’ll also need 3 minced garlic cloves, because garlic is ALWAYS a good idea.
- Chicken Broth – 1½ cups of chicken broth will get our delicious sauce going.
- White Wine – to our sauce, we’ll also add a ½ cup of white wine. If you’re making this for the whole family, don’t worry, the alcohol in the wine cooks out. If you still aren’t sure about it or just don’t have a bottle of white on hand, feel free to sub the wine for an equal amount of chicken broth!
- Lemon Juice – what is chicken piccata without lemon?! It’s not chicken piccata, that’s for sure! You’ll need ¼ cup of lemon juice here (the juice from about 2 lemons).
- Capers – ah, capers! They add the signature brine-y flavor to this dish. About a ¼ cup of capers should do!
- Greek Yogurt – the REAL star of our show today! A half-cup of whole milk Greek yogurt (THIS is our very favorite Greek yogurt) makes our sauce super delicious and creamy!
- Spinach – 1 bunch of chopped spinach ensures that your family gets a solid serving of greens in (without even realizing it!). Bonus? If you pick up a quart of Greek yogurt, you’ll have enough to make TWO other healthy, quick weeknight meals: Thai Curry Buddha Bowls + Shrimp Tacos.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – sprinkle a little bit (or a lot bit!) of shredded parmesan cheese over the finished dish, if you wish, and…
- Fresh Parsley – …finish it all off with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley!
How do you make creamy lemon chicken piccata?
The best part about this dish really is how easy it is. I’m always so amazed at how over-complicated cooking can get when it doesn’t *have* to be! Gone are the days of spending hours in the kitchen (because who has time for that anyway?) – we’re here to show you that you can spend time with your family and doing things you love AND still get a homemade meal on the table! Here’s just how you’ll do that:
- Get the Chicken Ready – if your chicken breasts are on the thicker side (more than a ½-inch thick), slice them in half lengthwise first! Once they're are sliced thin, season chicken with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Sear the Chicken – heat the butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken breasts in a single layer and sear for 4-5 minutes (until browned), then flip the chicken, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until browned and fully cooked through. Once fully cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Saute the Garlic – add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the Liquid – pour a ½ cup of the chicken broth and white wine into the skillet and increase the stove to medium-high heat. Scrape up any of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and let the liquid simmer for 3-4 minutes, until slightly reduced, then stir in the lemon juice, capers, and spinach. Cook all together for 2-3 minutes, until the spinach is wilted, then turn off the heat.
- Add the Yogurt – in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the remaining cup of chicken broth until smooth, then stir it into the spinach mixture to form a creamy sauce.
- Return the Chicken to the Skillet – add the chicken back to the skillet with the sauce mixture, and garnish with the chopped parsley and shredded parmesan cheese!
- Serve + Enjoy!
What to Serve with Creamy Chicken Piccata
You can go a few different routes here! If you’re looking for a starchy side, simple pasta (tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper) is delicious here, as is white rice, or even mashed potatoes. If you want something on the low-carb side of things, cauliflower rice is a great option, as is a side of roasted vegetables or a simple salad!
What else can I use Greek yogurt for?
TONS of things, actually! This dinner was created as a 3-part quick dinner series in which each dinner utilizes the tangy goodness of Greek yogurt! Grab a quart of Stonyfield's plain Greek yogurt for this one-skillet Creamy Chicken Piccata dinner and then use the leftover yogurt to make bold Thai Red Curry Buddha Bowls and refreshing, perfectly-spiced shrimp tacos later in the week.
We hope you enjoy this creamy lemon chicken piccata recipe – it's easy, flavorful, and a delicious meal for the whole family!
More One-Pot Dinners
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes
- Creole Shrimp Jambalaya with Chicken and Sausage
- One-Pot Pasta with Italian Sausage and Kale
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas and Rice
- Moroccan Chicken and Rice Skillet
- Easy Caprese Chicken Skillet
- Cauliflower Gnocchi and Sausage Skillet
- Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet
Creamy Chicken Piccata Skillet
This chicken piccata features perfectly-cooked chicken, a creamy, tangy sauce, and spinach for a boost of veggies!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly-sliced chicken breast (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine (may replace with chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt*
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 12 ounces pasta of choice, for serving (optional)
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides. If your chicken breast is on the thicker side (more than 1/2 inch thick), slice them in half lengthwise before seasoning.
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and sear for 4-5 minutes, until browned, then flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until browned and fully cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and white wine into the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes, until slightly reduced, then stir in the lemon juice, capers, and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until wilted, then turn off the heat.
- Whisk together the yogurt and remaining cup of chicken broth until smooth, then stir into the spinach mixture.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese, and serve alongside pasta of choice!
- If you'd like your sauce to be on the thicker side, you can use 3/4-1 cup of Greek yogurt here!
- For dairy-free and Paleo: substitute full-fat coconut milk for the yogurt and omit the parmesan cheese.
- For low-FODMAP: follow the dairy-free modifications above and omit the garlic.
Keywords: chicken, piccata, yogurt, creamy, easy