Grain-Free Cheddar and Sausage Sconesjump to recipe
These grain-free cheddar and sausage scones make for a perfect grab-and-go breakfast! They're flaky and tender with a base of almond flour, arrowroot starch, and butter and have flavorful cheddar cheese and sausage in each bite.
These grain-free cheddar and sausage scones just may be one of my favorite breakfast creations yet! Back in 2013, I published these Paleo Blueberry Scones and they've been one of the most popular recipes on Fed and Fit ever since. Y'all seriously love these scones so we decided it was about time to give them a new spin, and this time, we went savory! I'm not normally one to feel satisfied by a sweet breakfast, so for me these scones are the perfect treat that still leave me feeling full and nourished.
Honestly, I used to be a scone-hater. Even back when I was eating gluten (before I discovered that I was intolerant) I couldn't understand the appeal of scones. They were often dry, crumbly, and just not sweet enough to make up for their shortcomings. I didn't see why anyone would pick a scone when there were muffins, donuts, coffee cakes, and biscuits to be had! So, when I began experimenting with a grain-free version to add some variety to my breakfasts, I was shocked to discover how much better these scones were than their gluten-filled counterparts! These grain-free cheddar and sausage scones are flaky, tender, and – yes, I have to say it – moist, thanks to the almond flour and arrowroot batter plus a healthy dose of butter.
What really sets these grain-free cheddar and sausage scones at the top of the pack though is the add-ins! First, you'll mix in cheddar cheese and fresh chives, then you'll add in your favorite breakfast sausage. We used these no-sugar turkey sausage links from Jones Dairy Farm and they added SO much flavor. If sausage isn't your thing, you can always add bacon instead!
Since these scones do contain sausage, if you're not planning to eat them all right away (and I don't blame you if you do!), we recommend storing them in the refrigerator or freezer. When you're ready to eat one, you can simply re-warm it in the microwave or oven, which makes these a fantastic grab-and-go breakfast option!Print
Grain-Free Cheddar & Sausage Scones
These savory scones are filled with cheddar cheese and breakfast sausage for a delicious grab-and-go breakfast or a perfect addition to any brunch!
- Prep Time: 00:20
- Cook Time: 00:30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- 2 2/3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- ½ pound breakfast sausage links, cooked and sliced (we used Jones Dairy Farm)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and either line a 10-inch cast iron pan with parchment paper or grease with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, sea salt, and baking soda. Stir until all clumps are broken up and it's well incorporated. Whisk in the butter and egg until fully combined, then stir in the cheddar cheese, chives, and breakfast sausage.
- Using either a greased spoon or your hand, press the wet batter into the pan so that it is spread to the edges.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until browned on top and fully cooked through. Let cool slightly, then slice and enjoy immediately or refrigerate for later!
- To reheat from refrigerated: microwave for 30 to 45 seconds on high or place in a preheated 350 F oven for 5-7 minutes, until fully heated through.
- To reheat from from frozen: microwave for 90 seconds on high or place in a preheated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes, until fully heated through.