Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies
These Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies have an incredibly simple and delicious shortbread base that you will absolutely love!
I'm most definitely more of a cook than a baker. I like to add a dash of this, a sprinkle of that, and sear, stir, or bake until I'm happy with the finished product. Cooking allows me to let my hair down and go where the wind blows me while baking usually involves rules that I have to carefully follow. For some reason, this time of year not only makes me want to wear earrings with bells on them …but it also makes me want to BAKE! It makes me want to pull out a flour-dusted recipe card, set out some chilled butter, and follow the directions carefully. I check the expiration dates on all my flours (I really don't bake much during the year), refresh where needed, and put on my favorite Christmas playlist (hello, Michael Buble) before I start mixing and measuring.
There's something especially soothing about a shortbread cookie recipe. It requires that we mix butter into flour, but not much else. I also feel like a total pro when I make shortbread, even though it's one of the easiest pastries to whip up. A gluten-free friendly shortbread eluded me for SO LONG that when we finally figured out a recipe, the aura of magic intensified even further.
These Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies are so, so tasty. I actually used a store-bought organic jam for the center, but feel free to make your own if you so desire! My favorite varieties are: raspberry, apricot, and blueberry.
A few things to note: these are NOT Paleo cookies (like a lot of the desserts I've started publishing here on the blog). I lean heavily towards enjoying a treat as a treat. All of my treats are gluten-free and will only call for ingredients that are necessary. Though we tried this recipe with a number of different sweeteners, we found that the most true shortbread texture resulted with the use of granulated sugar.
I hope you enjoy these gluten-free thumbprint cookies and that they bring you some satisfying holiday, baked-good cheer this season!
xo, Cassy Joy
Gluten Free Jam Thumbprint Cookies00:15 00:25 0:40
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks (if tolerated)*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added jam of your choice, such as apricot, raspberry, or blueberry
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand held mixture until creamy, then add the vanilla, sea salt, and egg yolk and mix until fully combined. Next, mix in the flour 1/2 cup at a time.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, then roll the dough into one tablespoon-sized balls, make an indentation in each with a teaspoon, or your finger, and fill with jam.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the cookies brown around the outside, then let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
*Note: To make this recipe egg-free, omit the egg yolks and reduce total flour to 2 cups. The cookies will be slightly more crumbly than the egg version.