Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte
In the pursuit of being Fed and Fit, eating clean 100% of the time may drive you mad. There are few individuals who are able to cut all the bad stuff out of their diet (processed grains, sugar, caffeine, dairy, alcohol, etc.) and never look back. I’m not one of those people. The tasty seasonal treat I occasionally spoil myself with is the Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks. Very tasty business.
Now, I have two problems with this beverage: the non-negotiable sugar and the cost. The price (of the two) just isn’t worth it. A few $4’s and sugar crashes later, I went on a mission to make a healthier alternative that won’t break the bank.
If the benefits to your bank account aren't enough, here's a quick approximate side-by side nutrition comparison:
Starbucks Pumpkin Spiced Latte (size = tall w/skim milk)
200 Calories; 38 Carbs (sugar?)
Fed and Fit's Pumpkin Spiced Latte
30 Calories; 0.5 g Sugar
At that rate, you can make as many Fed & Fit PSL's as your heart desires. That is, until your heart starts to flutter from too much caffeine. I recommend not getting to that point.
I've written to Starbucks (and actually got a very nice reply!) requesting that they start to offer Almond Milk. The gist of the response I got: “maybe one day!”
Until then, please, sip, smile, and enjoy the changing weather with this almost healthy taste of fall.
Fed and Fit’s Pumpkin Spice Latte0:00
- 2 ounces espresso (or 1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee)
- 4 ounces steamed unsweetened almond milk (or 1/2 cup heated almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Truvia (a zero calorie natural sweetener made from the stevia leaf) *optional*
- Stir the espresso (or strongly brewed coffee) with the pumpkin, spices, and optional sweetener.
- Pour the steamed or heated milk on top and stir lightly.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
30 Calories; 0 g Fat; 0 g Protein 0.5 g Sugar
9 Responses to “Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte”
Pingback: Pumpkin Latte Recipes | Easily Paleo...