Rustic Beef & Potato Slow Cooker Soup
This rustic beef and potato slow cooker soup is squeaky-clean healthy, hearty, and requires minimal time standing over the stove. This is a great recipe for a crowd or for a week's worth of healthy meal prep!
While I do experiment quite a lot in my kitchen (of which, the successes find their way on the blog here or are stowed away for a book), there are a few dishes that are a guaranteed crowd-pleasing slam-dunk. ONE such dish that will *always* bring a smile to my husband's face and make him go back for 2nds/3rds, is a slow cooker soup. He just loves a hearty soup! This one is as simple as it gets. The biggest time investment is in browning the meat (which I do highly recommend) and in chopping the potatoes. After that, the slow cooker takes care of the rest!
The base for this soup has a lovely, rich tomato flavor. The potato-to-meat ratio is nice and high, so you likely won't find that you need to make an extra dish to serve alongside this soup. I also add a whole quart of healthy bone broth! You can make your own via the recipe in my ‘Fed & Fit' book or snag a box from the store (like THIS brand). The onion and garlic are added to help deepen the flavors even more, while the fresh rosemary sprigs lend a truly rustic, warming feel to the whole dish.
My directions call for squeezing in the juice of a whole lemon just before serving and *before* you add any additional salt. I find that the lemon helps add just the right amount of acidity and helps to brighten the whole dish!
If you're feeding a crowd, this is a great recipe for those fast-paced week nights when you have little time to stand over a stove. If you're NOT feeding a crowd, this is a great recipe for a week's worth of meal prepping OR for stowing away some healthy freezer meals!
Rustic Slow Cooker Beef & Potato Soup20 minutes 4 to 8 hours (to cook) 0:20
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, ghee, avocado oil, or coconut oil
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, more for garnish
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 29 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart beef or chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 sprig fresh rosemary, plus additional to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Melt the butter in the belly of a stove-top safe slow cooker insert or in a large pot. Liberally season the beef with the salt and pepper and then, working in batches so that you don't crowd the pan, brown the beef for about 3 minutes on at least 2 sides, or until the beef forms a nice deep brown color. Transfer to a separate bowl and continue to brown the rest of the beef.
- Once the beef is finished browning, add the onions and garlic to the pan with the beef drippings and remaining butter. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant, but not burned. Add the beef back in along with the rest of the ingredients, save for the lemon and parsley (we'll add those at the very end). Place the rosemary on top of the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours in the slow cooker.
- Just before serving, mix in the fresh lemon juice and any additional salt you think it may need. Serve in individual bowls and garnish with a fresh sprig of rosemary and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.