Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb
This Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb is seasoned with classic Greek flavors of oregano, rosemary, lemon juice, white wine, and plenty of garlic, resulting in a perfectly-cooked tender lamb that is perfect for any special occasion!
Mary Heffernan of 5 Marys Farms recently sent me the MOST special package of cuts from her family's farm! Included, was a bone-in lamb leg. I hadn't cooked lamb before and wanted to make sure that my recipe was well-researched, thought-out, and deserving of such a special cut of meat. After our research, I settled on a Greek-style, slow-roasted leg of lamb. The end product was nothing short of totally epic, you guys. Here's how it starts: pierce your leg of lamb so that you can slide 20 pieces of garlic (10 cloves, cut in half length-wise) inside. Roast at high heat for a bit, then lower heat for about 3 hours. A mixture of white wine, lemon juice, broth, and fresh herbs are added in at strategic times. This method yielded the MOST DELICIOUS lamb I have ever, ever enjoyed.
For more about 5 Marys Farms, click HERE to listen to the podcast episode where I interviewed Mary herself! They're an incredible family doing some incredible work.
A few notes about this dish: if you don't have (or don't like to cook with) wine, you can substitute the volume with half lemon juice and half broth. I recommend serving it with potatoes (roasted or mashed) or a risotto! In fact, a mushroom risotto would be AMAZING …adding that to my recipe development list now.
I hope you enjoy and that it helps offer inspiration if you have lamb on your menu!
Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb00:15 04:30 4:45 6-8
- 1, 5-6 pound, bone-in lamb leg roast
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Make 20 slits in the skin of the lamb roast and insert garlic clove halves. Rub the leg with the olive oil, then liberally season with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast in a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid and bake uncovered at 450 F for 30 minutes, right-side up.
- Add onion, thyme, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, lemon juice, wine, and broth, cover, and bake at 350 F for 3 hours. Check toward the end to make sure that the liquids haven't all dried up. If it has, add more broth as needed.
- Remove cover, bake for additional 30 minutes at 350 F, or until top is browned. If liquid is dried, add more broth.
- Serve with additional lemons, skim liquids for the sauce (skimming off fat) and season to taste with additional salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
This leg of lamb is slow roasted with classic Greek flavors of oregano, rosemary, lemon juice, white wine, and plenty of garlic, resulting in a perfectly-cooked tender lamb that is perfect for any special occasion!