Mexican Hot Chocolatejump to recipe
I can't think of a better way to toast 2015 than with a mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate! Let's sit back, snuggle in, think about where we've been, and dream about where we'll go.
Here's a snapshot of my 2015:
- Austin and I got MARRIED! Wow. I had a “pinch me” moment over breakfast this morning. My mind wondered off for a minute (she likes to do that) and when I looked back at the man sitting across the table from me, I actually startled. It's like, I'd forgotten, for half a second, that this incredible man is my husband and that this life is real life. He's so kind! And handsome. And he loves me. Wow. It's a living dream and I pray I never have to wake up. Marriage is awesome.
- I signed the 2nd most important contract of 2015 (next to my marriage license) and have been working my tail off to see it through. #fedandfitsurpriseproject
- I stopped driving through Starbucks almost every other day and saved myself an estimated $1,000. Which, I then, probably spent on shoes. #priorities #youdoyou
- Austin and I spent almost 2 weeks in New Zealand! We skydived, swam with dolphins, danced to Mumford & Sons in concert, ate really good eggs, and visited the Shire. It was the perfect place for us to start our together.
- 200 people humbled me greatly by signing up for the first edition of my signature food and fitness program, The Fed+Fit Project. Their positive feedback blew me away and, in an effort to bring you guys the very best, I've taken the Project down so we can spend some time incorporating feedback and making it even better.
- I listened to almost 30 different audio books! I love/use my Audible.com membership almost as much as I love/use my slow cooker.
- We started the Fed+Fit Podcast! It's now available on both iTunes and Stitcher AND we published full transcriptions of each show for folks who'd prefer to read.
- I gave up on “no-poo” hair care. I'll share more thoughts on the podcast!
- I decided that one day, I'm going to write a novel. I subsequently decided that all the challenging and confusing people I encounter are simply great opportunities for character research. #silverlining
Looking forward, let's imagine (in no particular order) what 2016 may hold:
- I'll turn 30! Austin has been asking what I want to do for my birthday. My usual response is “oh I'd just love a dinner with friends and family” …but I've decided that for my 30th, I want to climb a mountain. A BIG mountain. I wonder what the weather is like on Kilimanjaro in late March? OH, there's also Machu Picchu! If those are a bust, we could always to wonder up to the top of Emory Peak at Big Bend National Park.
- I'll FINALLY unveil the mystery behind this #fedandfitsurpriseproject that I've been teasing mercilessly on Instagram and Facebook.
- On that note, there may be a Nation-wide “I'm coming to your city and I want to meet you!” tour next Summer and Fall.
- I'll launch my Fed+Fit YouTube Series: “Almost Live with Cassy Joy!” This is going to be a weekly cooking + cool nutrition facts series with short, but super fun videos.
- The Fed+Fit Project will open back up BETTER THAN EVER! I've invited a brand new partner to join me and we're working so hard to make sure that you love every minute of your Project journey. The new online portal will be highly interactive, complete with a series of instruction videos and a massive bank of extra resources! Remember that if you want to be the first to know when the new Project opens back up, sign up HERE.
- I will replant my backyard garden with fewer tomatillo plants, MORE basil, zero beets, and with a “no white moths allowed” cover over my kale and collard greens.
- A Fed+Fit Fashion column! Oh what fun we'll have here.
- I'll experiment with another skincare routine. Just like (I suspect) so many of you, I like to mix things up on the regular. I get bored with my skincare routine and (I suspect) so does my skin. I'll keep you posted on all my trials and experiments!
- Hm, is 2016 the year I play with highlights? I've never had them. Well, unless you count middle school orange sun-in Summer hair experiments. I love being a brunette, but maybe it'd be fun to try something new?
- Maybe …I'll run another half marathon. Maybe.
Wishing you the happiest, safest, and healthiest New Year, and many servings of this Mexican Hot Chocolate.
Lots of love,
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (to thin, optional)
- 1/3 cup honey (omit for 21-DSD)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon plus extra for garnish ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepot over medium heat. Whisk to incorporate and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into 4 individual mugs and garnish with Coconut Whipped Cream and sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- If you like your hot chocolate more thin, substitute with more almond milk or water.