Plantain & Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage (gluten-free)
- 3 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick discs
- 12 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- In a large skillet, brown the breakfast sausage over medium/high heat, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Cook until it looks crispy and has released a good amount of fat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned sausage to a separate bowl, leaving the grease behind in the pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and add one layer of the sliced plantains. Cook on one side for about 3 to 6 minutes, or until they start to look golden brown. Flip them over and cook for an additional 3 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. As the plantains are finished, add them to the bottom of a 9 inch by 13 inch casserole dish. Repeat until all the plantain pieces are cooked and spread out into one even layer in the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the sausage over the plantains and then pour the whisked eggs over the sausage. Sprinkle the top with the salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Bake the casserole at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center is firm (give it a shake and if it jiggles, it needs more time).
- Let the casserole cool for about 5 minutes then slice and serve.