Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops

Fed+Fit Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops-2

I realize that we’re smack in the middle of pumpkin spiced everything season and that Thanksgiving is just around the corner, but I say we take a quick avoid-the-dreaded-pumpkin-burnout-break with a healthy twist on some Southern classics. Good plan?

I knew you’d be with me.

I’m a Texas gal, y’all. That means I grew up on equal parts smoky BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Southern comfort foods. As one of those stubborn people who refuse to give up on not-Paleo-friendly dishes, I’ve been hard at work transforming some soul food into delicious, healthful grub.

In this next mini “Paleo-Friendly Southern Comfort Foods” series, I’ll be sharing these three recipes:

1. Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops
  2. Roasted Rosemary Butter Potatoes
  3. Bacon Collard Greens

Fed+Fit Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops

“I’ve gone Paleo and now I can’t have X anymore,” doesn’t fly around here.

You’re craving smothered pork chops? You get smothered pork chops!

These aren’t just any smothered pork chops, either. These chops are going to be SO flavorful, SO easy to make, and SO tender that you’ll totally forget about the original version.

Fed+Fit Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops-5

Our recipe starts off like the classic with a seasoned flour dusting (made possible by arrowroot) and then the chops are placed in a buttered pan for browning. We start to deviate from the original into a new land of awesomeness when we make a caramelized onion gravy and finish the chops off in the slow-cooker (instead of stovetop) to ensure maximum tenderness and minimum kitchen effort.

Those caramelized onions and the slow cooker are a game. changer.

Enjoy!

Print Print

Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 4-6 hours

1. In a large saute or frying pan, melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Add the finely diced onion to the pan plus 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and cook until reduced, translucent, and starting to brown. Spoon out the caramelized onions and set aside in a separate bowl, leaving the melted butter behind in the pan.
  2. In a large bowl or pie pan, make the seasoned flour for dredging the chops. Whisk the arrowroot flour, remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and black pepper together. Place each pork chop in the flour and be sure to coat on all sides. Lay the dusted chops into the hot buttered pan and cook on high for 5-10 minutes each side (until golden brown). After both sides are cooked, remove the chops from the pan and place them the bottom of a slow cooker.
  3. To make the gravy, turn back to the saute pan now with some meat drippings, a little leftover melted butter, and some flour, add the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and stir until melted. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the seasoned arrowroot flour mixture (it may start to form a paste at this point) and then whisk in the entire can of full-fat coconut milk. Slowly whisk in the 2 cups of chicken or beef broth until the gravy has a smooth consistency (this may take a few turns of the whisk). If you feel like the gravy is too thin, whisk in one more tablespoon of the seasoned flour. Note that it will continue to thicken in the slow cooker.
  4. Pour the gravy over the pork chops in the slow cooker, sprinkle the top with half of the caramelized onions, cover, and turn heat to medium. Cook in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low/medium heat.
  5. When they're finished, carefully pull each chop out and place on a plate. Spoon extra gravy over and sprinkle the top with the remaining caramelized onions.

29 Responses to “Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops”

Kathleenposted October 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Can arrowroot flour be substituted for a different flour? Thanks! LOOKS AMAZING

• Cassy replied: — October 20th, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

Absolutely! You can also use tapioca flour or potato starch.

Katiposted October 29, 2014 at 2:13 am

My daughter is allergic to coconut, can anything be substituted for the coconut milk?

• Cassy replied: — October 31st, 2014 @ 3:17 am

Great question! If y’all tolerate dairy, you could use heavy a grass-fed whipping cream. If dairy is not tolerated, you could use almond milk plus at least 1 tablespoon more butter, but know that it won’t be as creamy.

natashaposted November 4, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I can’t find what temp on the slow cooker…so I’m doing the temp on high and hoping that’s right!

• Cassy replied: — November 5th, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

Hi Natasha! I would turn it to “low.”

natashaposted November 5, 2014 at 3:05 pm

So, I did them on high for six hours and I think maybe I should have done low because they got a little more brown but HOLY DELICIOUSNESS. I don’t like pork and these are amazing!

• Cassy replied: — November 5th, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

Haha awesome!! So glad you liked them!

Heidiposted November 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

WOW. These are shut the front door kind of awesome!!! Thanks for this recipe. I left out the coconut milk cause BF doesn’t ike it (gasp! I know.) but it was still amazing. He said it was his new fave pork recipe – and I can’t help but agree!

• Cassy replied: — November 6th, 2014 @ 8:31 pm

Awesome!!! Great feedback. Thanks, Heidi!

Chrisposted January 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm

How many oz should the can of coconut milk be?

• Kelly replied: — May 23rd, 2015 @ 1:46 am

Hi Chris! Cans of coconut milk usually come in around 13.5 fluid ounces. Hope that helps.

Mirandaposted February 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Can I use coconut flour instead?

• Kelly replied: — May 23rd, 2015 @ 1:53 am

Hi Miranda! Coconut flour is a whole different beast from arrowroot flour as it has a different consistency and is very absorbent. It is hard to say if it would turn out as good with coconut flour and you need to use a different amount. If you can’t find arrowroot I would suggest trying tapioca flour or potato starch. Hope that helps!

SheWolfe64posted March 22, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Really delicious! I did a mixture of bone in and boneless pork chops and both were fabulous.

• Kelly replied: — April 5th, 2015 @ 2:21 am

Thanks for trying it out! Good idea with mixing bone in and boneless!

Rachel Larsonposted April 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm

how big of a can of coconut milk am I using?
    Thanks
    Rachel

• Kelly replied: — May 23rd, 2015 @ 1:47 am

Hi Rachel! The can of coconut milk should be around 13.5 fluid ounces. Hope that helps!

Jessikaposted May 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Thanks so much for a great recipe! I’ve made these twice and my family loves them 🙂 I was wondering if I wanted to add mushrooms to the dish when would be a good time to do that… thanks!
    Jessika

• Kelly replied: — May 23rd, 2015 @ 1:50 am

So glad you are enjoying it Jessika! The recipe hasn’t been tried with mushrooms, but I would say you could sauté them when you are browning the onions and throw them in the crockpot with everything. Let us know if it turns out!

Christinaposted January 31, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hi, just curious as if you have the nutritional information on this recipe, at least the carbs, fats and proteins for portions. I’ve made it before and it was definitely a hit! My family loved it!

• Kelly replied: — January 31st, 2016 @ 5:23 pm

Hi Christina! We don’t have the nutrition information for this recipe but you could easily put it into an online recipe nutrition calculator to find out. My favorite to use is MyFitnessPal. Hope that helps!

Melissaposted June 11, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Looks like chops are cooked whole, not cut up in to smaller pieces?
    Also are they trimmed of fat? the chops i found have a lot of fat on them. I love fat but would this effect the dish?

Lindsayposted June 13, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Can you prep and freeze this recipe?

Amyposted November 7, 2016 at 9:22 am

HI!

I am looking very forward to trying this recipe. Have you or anyone you know tried this in an Instant Pot? I am curious about cooking time and how it turned out. Thanks!

Madeline Gambleposted November 20, 2016 at 6:53 pm

These were absolutely INCREDIBLE. Thank you for your creativity and warmth through your recipes and blog. Thankful I am able to feed my family a delicious and healthy meal this Thanksgiving with your recipes. ❤️

Aliciaposted December 20, 2016 at 7:13 pm

This recipe is awesome!!! Well, I know the gravy is!!! lol It’s still in the crockpot as I type! I have a few hours to wait until it is completely done! But the gravy looked so good, I had to taste and sho nuff! It is! I can’t wait to taste the chop! I keep going back for more gravy!!! Definitely a keeper!!!

I did realize a little later that it required six chops instead of the 3 I had but I improvised. I did have to add water and more arrowroot to the gravy so that it would not be salty (I’m sure it would have been fine as is had I used the correct amount of meat) I used the same amount of spices for the six chop recipe. And I also used 1 cup of coconut milk instead of the whole can. I’m new to Paleo recipes and the whole can of something I’m not use to using scared me!!! But I think I would actually keep it at 1 cup. Just a personal preference!!! But I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!! I WILL SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOF TOPS! LOL

Aliciaposted December 20, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Amy,

I’m getting a Instapot for my Christmas present and I’m definitely trying them in it at some point. I would have to wait so long for my chops right now if I had that bad boy! lol

Dawnposted February 4, 2017 at 1:05 am

What is the nutritional breakdown for this recipe?