This cool, creamy, and refreshing margarita will transport you to paradise in 5 minutes with just 4 simple ingredients!
Table of Contents
This coconut margarita combines fresh lime juice, coconut milk, tequila, and a hint of sweetness for the ultimate creamy cocktail. It’s like pina colada meets margarita in all the best ways possible! As an extra bonus, it is so easy to whip up with just 4 simple ingredients.
The ingredients are super clean and really easy. Here’s what you’ll need for 2 servings:
- Coconut Milk – for the base, you’ll need 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk.
- Tequila – a ½ cup of tequila makes this margarita a margarita!
- Lime Juice – a ¼ cup of lime juice plays as a nice tart and citrusy counter to the creamy coconut milk.
- Agave – 1 tablespoon of agave sweetens the drink perfectly.
For the optional garnish:
- Coconut Flakes – decorate the rim of your glass with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened coconut flakes.
This coconut margarita is really yummy served on the rocks, as-is, but there are some really fun ways you can play with the composition:
- Make a frozen marg – mix the coconut milk, lime juice, and agave together, then freeze in an ice cube tray. Pop them in the blender with your tequila for a delicious frozen, coconut margarita.
- Toast the coconut flakes – to garnish your rim, toast a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened coconut flakes, use a lime wedge or some agave syrup to line the rim, and dip in the coconut flakes for a warm and nutty flavor with every sip. Combine the coconut flakes with salt and lime zest for a really fun rim!
- Add a fruit – add another tropical fruit flavor to the mix (like mango, pineapple, or passionfruit).
- Make a mocktail – make a tasty virgin coconut margarita by substituting the tequila with lime-flavored sparkling water.
How to Make
The process is super easy! Here’s how you’ll make your coconut margarita:
- Combine ingredients – add your ingredients to a large glass or small pitcher and stir or whisk to combine.
- Garnish your rim – using a lime wedge or agave, line the rim of your glass, then dip in unsweetened coconut flakes, and carefully add ice to the glass.
- Pour – pour your margarita over the ice then complete your garnish with a lime wedge.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tip: For the smoothest coconut margarita, blend your ingredients together, then pour into a pitcher to chill and serve over ice.
How to make a frozen coconut margarita
This recipe is versatile and can be prepared fresh on the rocks, as is, or frozen. To prepare a frozen coconut margarita, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, and agave, then freeze in an ice cube tray. When you’re ready to serve, combine the frozen mix and tequila in a blender and blend!
Frequently Asked Questions
By definition, a margarita is an alcoholic beverage composed of tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, and is served in a glass with a salted rim. More modern twists of the margarita swap the orange liqueur for agave in the recipes and take on various flavor profiles, but the presence of tequila remains the same.
More traditional margaritas use an orange liqueur, such as triple sec, which is high in sugar. To lower the sugar content, a skinny margarita recipe generally calls for fresh citrus juice and agave syrup in lieu of the orange liqueur.
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- lime wedges
- Add ingredients to a large glass or small pitcher and whisk to combine.
- Using lime juice or agave, line the rim of the glass and dip in unsweetened coconut flakes. Carefully add ice to the glass.
- Pour the margarita into the glass. Adorn with a lime wedge.
- Serve and enjoy!