4-Ingredient Pickled Onions
These 4-ingredient, Paleo pickled onions come together in no time at all and can add a healthy punch of flavor to endless meal combinations!
Confession: I made these pickled onions for a recipe post that I have planned for a few days from now (an epic breakfast hash). I HAD planned to just include this recipe with that post, but after this jar spent a week in my refrigerator and I kept finding ways to enjoy it with other meals, I knew it needed a dedicated post.
What do you eat with pickled onions, you ask? The options are endless! I personally love them over scrambled eggs, on top of an omelet, with chili, over BBQ, on nachos, over pizza, and over a roast. Really, they're great on anything that could use an extra punch of flavor! Unlike cheese or other dairy and unhealthy fat-based sauces, these onions are a nutritionally benign and healthy condiment (right next to mustard!). I put them in the category of “enjoy as often as you like.”
If the idea of pickling onions intimidates you at all, let me put your mind at ease: it's SIMPLE! You don't even need to heat anything up. All you need to do is simply chop up the onion (the thinner the better), pour the vinegar over top, add a few teaspoons of sea salt, and a teaspoon of peppercorns. Give it a shake to help the ingredients combine and refrigerate! I recommend letting them sit for a day for optimal pickle flavor. They'll keep for a couple weeks like this!
4-Ingredient Pickled Onions0:00
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups apple cider vinegar (may also use white or red wine vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Place the sliced onions in a large wide-mouth mason jar.
- Pour the vinegar over the onions, adding more as needed to cover the top. Add the salt and peppercorns, seal, and shake the jar vigorously to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least one day before serving!