Easy Gluten-Free Cornbreadjump to recipe
This gluten-free cornbread is so moist, fluffy, and easy to make that you'll never find yourself reaching for a packaged mix again!
This recipe comes to you courtesy of Mama Garcia! She's been making this cornbread for years and years, and we were so happy to find that it could easily be converted to gluten-free. While you may be used to making your cornbread from a packaged mix, rest assured that this one comes together with minimal effort. This cornbread is fluffy, moist, and lightly sweetened. It's the perfect side for soup, chili, or for Thanksgiving stuffing!
Is cornbread gluten-free?
First things first, you may be wondering whether cornbread is naturally gluten-free. The answer is no because while cornbread has a cornmeal base, it typically also contains flour to give it a finer crumb and a more cake-like consistency.
What kind of cornmeal is best for gluten-free cornbread?
While most cornmeal is gluten-free, if you have Celiac Disease or are super sensitive we recommend double-checking your cornmeal to make sure it isn't processed alongside wheat. The other thing you'll want to look for when making gluten-free cornbread is fine-ground cornmeal. If you go with coarse grind cornmeal, the cornbread will be more crumbly and not as fluffy.
How to Make Gluten-Free Cornbread
Here's what you'll need to do to make this cornbread:
- Whisk the dry ingredients. First, you'll place the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Mix in the wet ingredients. Next, you'll add the honey, milk, egg, and melted butter to the bowl and mix it until a smooth batter is formed. No need to use a mixer for this one!
- Pour the batter into a round pan. We used a round cake pan to make this gluten-free cornbread, but you can also use a cast-iron skillet if you'd like! If you decide to use a cast-iron, we recommend preheating it in the oven while you make your batter. The hot pan will help the cornbread get extra-crispy on the edges and allow for even heating.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Finally, you'll bake the cornbread for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Can I make this cornbread dairy-free?
Yes! You can make this cornbread dairy-free by replacing the milk with full-fat coconut milk and the butter with ghee or coconut oil.
Can I reduce or leave out the sugar?
Yes, this cornbread is slightly sweet (which is how we prefer it), but if you'd like a more savory cornbread, you can reduce or leave out the honey without issue.
Gluten-Free Cornbread Variations
While we love this recipe for a standard cornbread, here are a few ideas to spice up your cornbread a bit!
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread – Leave out the honey and add 1/4 cup diced jalapenos (about 2 de-seeded jalapenos) and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the batter.
- Bacon & Fresh Corn Cornbread – Reduce the honey to 2 tablespoons and add 1/2 cup of bacon and 3/4 cup of corn kernels to the batter.
- Sweet Blueberry Cornbread – Use 3/4 cup of honey and add 1 cup of blueberries to the batter for this fun twist on traditional cornbread.
What to Serve with Cornbread
In the wintertime, cornbread is a go-to side for me for any kind of soup or stew. This cornbread also makes a great base for gluten-free stuffing! Here are our favorites:
- Bacon and Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing
- Paleo Bison Chili
- Gluten-Free Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Squeaky Clean Chicken & Veggie Soup
- Rustic Beef & Potato Slow Cooker Soup
Easy Gluten-Free Cornbread
This gluten-free cornbread only requires one bowl for mixing and comes out moist and fluffy every time!
- Prep Time: 00:10
- Cook Time: 00:30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the honey, milk, egg, and coconut oil to the bowl and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Grease a cast iron skillet or 8-9” cake pan with butter and pour in the batter (you may use parchment to line the pan instead if you prefer).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool, then enjoy!
Keywords: gluten-free, dairy-free, cornbread, homemade