Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoesjump to recipe
Instant Pot chicken and potatoes with honey mustard is the ideal weeknight dinner! Chicken breasts are brushed with honey mustard, seared, then cooked alongside potatoes for a simple one-pot dish.
I am so pumped to share this recipe with you! We know that our readers love one-pot Instant Pot dinners, especially when they feature chicken (for example, this Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken), so we recently got to work developing more of these easy recipes for you. Now, I'm the first to be a little skeptical of Instant Pot chicken recipes, because they can easily turn out dry and bland. When I pulled this out of the Instant Pot though, I knew we had a winner! This chicken is tender and flavorful (I mean, look at that browning!), and the potatoes are perfectly cooked. Drizzle the whole thing with a little extra honey mustard and fresh thyme, and you've got a new dinner time hit.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
This dinner is super simple to throw together! Just follow the steps below:
- Make the honey mustard dressing. To make the dressing, you'll simply whisk together the honey, mustard, and apple cider vinegar, then slowly whisk in the olive oil until you have a thick, creamy dressing.
- Season and sear the chicken. Next, you'll toss the chicken with 1/4 cup of dressing, salt, pepper, and thyme. Once the chicken is fully coated, you'll sear it in the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned, then remove it from the pot.
- Deglaze the pot with broth. ‘Deglaze' may sound like a fancy term, but all it really means is that you're adding liquid to a hot pan to release all the yummy caramelized bits on the bottom. In this case, you'll pour chicken broth into your Instant Pot, then whisk the bottom of the pan to get up any browned bits. Once that's done, add the chicken back to the pot.
- Season the potatoes. Next, toss the potatoes with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme, and lay them on top of the chicken.
- Cook for 7 minutes. Secure the lid on your Instant Pot, then set it to cook for 7 minutes. Yep, that's all you need! Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Serve! Finally, plate the chicken and potatoes, drizzle with the remaining honey mustard, and serve.
Can I use chicken thighs or frozen chicken?
Yes to both! Chicken thighs will need the same amount of cooking time and tend to be slightly juicier than chicken breasts thanks to their higher fat content. For frozen chicken, you won't be able to sear it first, so you might lose some flavor, but it will cook up fine! Just add about two minutes to the cook time, and know that it will take a bit longer for your Instant Pot to come to pressure when using frozen meat.
What can I serve on the side?
If you'd like to add some more veggies to this dish, you can add carrots in with the potatoes, serve it with a simple side salad like this Sea Salt & Lemon Arugula Salad, roast a bunch of veggies while the chicken and potatoes cook, or you can add another veggie to the pot. To do this, once the chicken is done cooking and the pressure is released, add a veggie like broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, or green beans to the pot, and set it to cook for 1 minute. After that, manually release the pressure and you'll have perfectly-steamed veggies!
What other flavors can I use to make Instant Pot chicken and potatoes?
If honey mustard isn't your favorite, here are a few other sauces and spice combinations you can use for this recipe:
- BBQ Sauce – Primal Kitchen Foods makes some stellar sugar-free BBQ sauces.
- Buffalo Sauce – We love a combo of Frank's Red Hot and butter.
- Ranch Dressing – try our easy 5-Ingredient Ranch!
- Balsamic – We have a great balsamic marinade on our mini balsamic meatloaves.
- Garlic & Herb – Combine 3-4 cloves of garlic and your favorite Italian or Herbs de Provence seasoning and rub all over the chicken and potatoes.
More Simple Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Bowls with Pineapple Salsa
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas & Rice
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes
Chicken and potatoes are smothered in honey mustard dressing, then quickly cooked in the Instant Pot for an easy one-pot meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
For the Honey Mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. While constantly whisking the dijon and honey mixture, slowly pour in the olive oil and whisk to combine until a creamy dressing forms.
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon thyme, then toss with 1/4 cup of the honey mustard.
- Set your Instant Pot to ‘saute' mode, then add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the chicken to the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes, until browned, then flip and sear for an additional 2-3 minutes and remove from the pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and whisk up any bits that are stuck to the bottom, then add the chicken back to the pot.
- Toss the potatoes with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice then layer them on top of the chicken.
- Seal the pot, then set to cook for 7 minutes on high pressure.
- After the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Drizzle the chicken and potatoes with extra honey mustard and serve!
Keywords: easy, chicken breast, instant pot, pressure cooker, one pot